SilverStripe CMS needs to be installed on a web server. Content authors and website administrators use their web browser to access a web-based GUI to do their day-to-day work. Website designers and developers require access to the files on the server to update templates, website logic, and perform upgrades or maintenance.
Our web-based PHP installer can check if you meet the requirements listed below.
Web server software requirements
* Note: Some PHP 5.5+ packages already have [Zend OpCache](http://php.net/manual/en/book.opcache.php) installed by default. If this is the case on your system, do not try and run additional opcaches alongside Zend OpCache without first disabling it, as it will likely have unexpected consequences.
- Required modules: dom, gd2, fileinfo, hash, iconv, mbstring, mysqli (or other database driver), session, simplexml, tokenizer, xml.
- Recommended configuration
safe_mode = Off magic_quotes_gpc = Off memory_limit = 48M
- One of the following databases:
- MySQL 5.0+
- PostgreSQL 8.3+ (requires "postgresql" module)
- SQL Server 2008+ (requires "mssql" module)
- Support for Oracle and SQLite is not commercially supported, but is under development by our open source community.
- One of the following web server products:
- Apache 2.0+ with mod_rewrite and "AllowOverride All" set
- IIS 7+
- Support for Lighttpd, IIS 6, and other web servers may work if you are familiar with configuring those products.
- One of the following operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows XP SP3, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2
- Mac OS X 10.4+
Does SilverStripe 3 work with PHP 7.3+?
SilverStripe 3.7.3 or greater will work with PHP 7.2 and 7.3. Silverstripe 3.6.x is compatible with PHP 7.0 and 7.1, and SilverStripe 3.5 or lower will only work with PHP 5.3 - 5.6.
Web server hardware requirements
Hardware requirements vary widely depending on the traffic to your website, the complexity of its logic (i.e., PHP), and its size (i.e., database.) By default, all pages are dynamic, and thus access both the database and execute PHP code to generate. SilverStripe can cache full pages and segments of templates to dramatically increase performance.
A typical website page on a conservative single CPU machine (e.g., Intel 2Ghz) takes roughly 300ms to generate. This comfortably allows over a million page views per month. Caching and other optimisations can improve this by a factor of ten or even one hundred times. SilverStripe CMS can be used in multiple-server architectures to improve scalability and redundancy.
For more information on how to scale SilverStripe see the Performance Guide.
Client side (CMS) requirements
SilverStripe CMS is designed to work well with Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer 8+. We aim to provide satisfactory experiences in Apple Safari. SilverStripe CMS works well across Windows, Linux, and Mac operating systems.
End user requirements