This document contains information about a future release and not the current stable version (4). Be aware that information on this page may change and API's may not be stable for production use.
- Security: Cross-site scripting on anchor links
- Security: Possible SQL injection for MySQL when using far east character encodings
- Security: SQL injection in Folder::findOrMake() parameter (used mostly in author-only CMS through
- Security: Privilege escalation from
ADMINfor users access to the CMS (through
- Security: Potential remote code execution through serialization of page comment user submissions
Security: User-uploaded files searchable when using FulltextSearchable
The FulltextSearchable default configuration includes all file names in the
While this is desired in most cases, it can lead to unexpected public visibility of data,
e.g. when uploaded through users. For example, CVs uploaded to a recruiting site most likely shouldn't be searchable.
Option 1: Disable file search completely (through
Option 2: Exclude file search from individual files by setting the
File.ShowInSearch database property to
This property has been added in the 2.4.6 release. You can apply this retroactively to all files with this SQL statement:
UPDATE `File` SET `ShowInSearch` = 0;
Please note that all these files are still exposed through the webserver if the path is known,
regardless of the
ShowInSearch setting. To fully secure uploaded files,
you can apply protection on a webserver level (e.g.
Alternatively, you can proxy these files through your own permission control system
rather than exposing them directly through the webserver (e.g. with the "securefiles" module).
One common way to allow user-uploaded files is the "userforms" module. This module has been altered to mark all uploaded files with
ShowInSearch=0 by default.
Security: Cross-site scripting (XSS) on anchor links
Anchor links (
<a href="#">) are automatically rewritten by the SilverStripe
template parser to work with the
<base> tag, which is a prerequisite for the framework.
This applies to all links passed through
SSViewer::process() with the 'rewriteHashlinks' option enabled,
which is the framework default. Most commonly, these links will be created through the "Content"
field in the CMS, but any links inserted through template placeholders are vulnerable.
Modern browsers automatically fix basic XSS attacks through built-in XSS filters,
the vulnerability has only been confirmed in Internet Explorer 6 and 7 so far.
When upgrading to this SilverStripe version, please ensure to flush all template caches
by using the
Thanks to Michael Best and Stefan Schurtz for reporting.
Security: Possible SQL injection for MySQL when using far east character encodings
MySQL databases with a client set to certain far east encodings (SJIS, BIG5, GBK, GB18030, and UHC)
can be vulnerable to SQL injections through usage of the
These character sets are not supported by SilverStripe,
and not a default setting for MySQL - so its unlikely that you're affected.
By default, any 2.4.x installation sets the connection character set
to UTF-8, which doesn't have this vulnerability. Please check that
you have the following command in your
If this value isn't set, the default encoding in MySQL will apply
(which is usually "latin-1" or "ISO 8859-1", so not a vulnerable multibyte character set).
See shiflett.org for further details on the exploit. Thanks to Tim Spencer for reporting.
Security: Page comments cookie possible vulnerability through unserialize()
Only applicable if any page allows comments (through the
and SilverStripe is of version 2.4.x (the feature wasn't present in 2.3, and has been extracted from trunk).
PageCommentInterface_Form->postcomment() method stores user data for re-submission
through cookies (in case the first submission fails due to a validation error).
The data is stored via
unserialize(), making it potentially vulnerable
to improper method invocation or property injection. While we are not aware
of any active vulnerabilities, the serialization has been replaced with a more secure JSON format.
Thanks to Tim Klein for reporting.
Note: The commenting functionality has been moved to a new "comments" module in trunk, which has the same bugfixes applied.
Features and Enhancements
- 2011-10-17 6d6fdd2 Added SSViewer::getOption() as a logical counterpart to SSViewer::setOption() (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-09-28 ad13f80 Updated Windows installation documentation on using PHP Manager which takes out most of the PHP configuration effort. (Sean Harvey)
- 2011-09-15 bb757d1 Allow editing of new File.ShowInSearch flag through AssetTableField (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-09-15 83ad8d4 Added File.ShowInSearch flag to mirror the existing SiteTree.ShowInSearch flag - e.g. useful to limit visibility of user-uploaded files. Enforced in MySQLDatabase->searchEngine(). (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-05-26 9d344a0 Allowing filtered arguments on specific functions like mysql_connect() in SS_Backtrace (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-02-11 c6992f3 Adjusted from-source documentation to github and piston (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-02-07 8bd01d6 Added sapphire/docs (migrated from https://github.com/chillu/silverstripe-doc-restructuring) (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-02-02 590dbb5 Made it possible to attach utility links to a ComplexTableField beyond just exporting (e.g. printing). (ajshort)
- 2011-10-17 16c3235 Escaping base URLs for anchor links rewritten by SSViewer::process() with the 'rewriteHashlinks' option enabled (which is a framework default, and necessary because of the use of a <base> tag). Also added escaping for base URLs rendered through the 'php' variation of 'rewriteHashlinks' (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-09-28 7805e3e i18n::include_by_locale() assumes a themes directory always exists and causes error if that's not the case. Some projects don't require any themes, like pure applications. (Sean Harvey)
- 2011-09-15 b5ea2f6 Consistently using Convert::raw2sql() instead of DB::getConn()->addslashes() or PHP's deprecated addslashes() for database escaping (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-09-15 73cca09 Consistently using Convert::raw2sql() instead of DB::getConn()->addslashes() or PHP's deprecated addslashes() for database escaping (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-08-31 af0bf45 fixing random changing of access tab radio buttons when refreshing the CMS with a URL such as /admin#Root_Access in Firefox. (Julian Seidenberg)
- 2011-03-22 01f5b3d Fixed MigrateSiteTreeLinkingTask not working correctly when CLRF newlines being used (Sean Harvey)
- 2011-03-21 fef7c32 Fixed SQL injection in Folder::findOrMake() parameter. Exploitable through Upload::, although unlikely to be set via user input. (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-03-09 de1f070 Avoid privilege escalation from EDIT_PERMISSIONS to ADMIN through TreeMultiselectField (in Member->getCMSFields()) by checking for admin groups in Member->onChangeGroups() (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-09-07 01b08a5 removed incorrect getter/setter statements. (Will Rossiter)
- 2011-08-20 0ef4161 fixed syntax error in FormAction example. (Will Rossiter)
- 2011-08-11 62ed138 documentation fixes from comments provided by the community. See below for a list of fixes: fixed typo in Email documentation. updated link for tutorial code to be relative now that bug #6408 is fixed removed 2.3 related docs from 2.4 docs folder fixed typo with Orientation documentation * updated old task url for images/flush (Will Rossiter)
- 2011-05-19 1704e42 Return empty string from SQLQuery->sql() if SELECT is the default value, and no FROM is set (moved logic from DB-specific implementations) (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-03-21 4c1866c Updated contributing guidelines (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-03-21 551bc5d Improved patch documentation (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-03-08 e9f20cf Documentation fixes (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-03-08 5d87f29 Added fix to test troubleshooting docs about PHPUnit 3.5 missing MockObject class (Sean Harvey)
- 2011-03-03 cc0f62c Fixed title escaping in 'built in page controls' documentation (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-02-25 ff63ba9 Fixed broken i18nTest on Windows because of newline character differences (Sean Harvey)
- 2011-02-25 b559b9b Fixed broken CSVParserTest on Windows because of newline character differences (Sean Harvey)
- 2011-02-23 918d9cb Added docs/ contributing notes (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-02-22 8ad630d formatting changes and fixes to original document formatting (Michael Andrewartha)
- 2011-02-21 201506e Added deprecated SapphireTest->assertType() in order to support PHPUnit 3.5 or newer, but stay backwards compatible to PHPUnit 3.4 (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-02-16 f15f083 Updated 'from source' docs (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-02-14 994f7a3 Fixed blackcandy github links in docs (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-02-14 629aa9b Removed reference to additional CSS download in tutorial 4, moved to the silverstripe-installer project (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-02-12 753a454 Fixed spacing in docs (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-02-12 5bfc722 Removed duplicated 'additional requirements' from docs (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-02-07 d23aeb2 Fixing image links in docs/en/tutorials/ (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-02-04 900b0a7 Fixed an empty utility container adding extra padding to the bottom of table fields. (ajshort)
- 2011-02-02 9e49d04 Only show the CTF utility bar if there are utilities available. (ajshort)
- 2011-10-18 96bee47 MINO Switching 'rewriteHashlinks' sanitization from Convert::raw2att() to strip_tags() to make the resulting PHP more portable when mode is set to 'php' (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-09-08 d15e850 SECURITY Using JSON instead of serialize() to stringify user data in PageCommentsInterface (Ingo Schommer)
- 2011-08-26 0f91fb8 Changes error reporting level to explicitly exclude E_DREPRECATED and E_STRICT, rather than xor. (simonwelsh)
- 2011-08-26 9ffa903 Adds missing semicolon for PHP5.4 support. (simonwelsh)
- 2011-08-24 8342f6b Removed references to Language Chooser Widget until it can be updated to work with the new translation model. (simonwelsh)
- 2011-08-22 d8c6bda Removed profanity (Adam Rice)
- 2011-06-09 5d3ddaf Add some translation in cms core (Ladislav Kubes)
- 2011-06-09 46090cf fix language namespace (devel)
- 2011-06-09 5f3dde5 Add some CZ translations (devel)
- 2011-03-09 f3ac573 Small text changes, added api links, cont. updating images for tutorials, fixed tutorials from member feedback (Michael Andrewartha)