This document contains information for an outdated version and may not be maintained any more. If some of your projects still use this version, consider upgrading as soon as possible.
SilverStripe CMS needs to be installed on a web server. Content authors and website administrators use their web browser to access a web-based GUI to do their day-to-day work. Website designers and developers require access to the files on the server to update templates, website logic, and perform upgrades or maintainance.
Our web-based PHP installer can check if you meet the requirements listed below.
Web server software requirements
- PHP 5.2.0+
- We recommend using a PHP accelerator or opcode cache, such as xcache or WinCache.
- Allocate at least 48MB of memory to each PHP process. (SilverStripe can be resource hungry for some intensive operations.)
- Required modules: dom, gd2, hash, iconv, mbstring, mysql (or other database driver), session, simplexml, tokenizer, xml.
- Recommended configuration
safe_mode = Off magic_quotes_gpc = Off memory_limit = 48M
- See phpinfo() for more information about your environment
- One of the following databases:
- One of the following web server products:
- Apache 1.3+ with mod_rewrite and "AllowOverride All" set
- IIS 5.x+ (Version 7.5+ and URL Rewrite Module recommended)
- Support for Lighttpd and other webservers may work if you are familiar with configuring those products.
- One of the following operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows XP SP3, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2
- Mac OS X 10.4+
Web server hardware requirements
Hardware requirements vary widely depending on the traffic to your website, the complexity its logic (i.e., PHP), and its size (i.e., database.) By default, all pages are dynamic, and thus access both the database and execute PHP code to generate. SilverStripe can cache full pages and segments of templates to dramatically increase performance.
A typical website page on a conservative single CPU machine (e.g., Intel 2Ghz) takes roughly 300ms to generate. This comfortably allows over a million page views per month. Caching and other optimisations can improve this by a factor of ten or even one hundred times. SilverStripe CMS can be used in multiple-server architectures to improve scalability and redunancy.
Client side (CMS) requirements
SilverStripe CMS is designed to work well with Firefox 3.0+ and Internet Explorer 7.0+. We aim to provide satisfactory experiences in Apple Safari and Google Chrome. SilverStripe CMS works well across Windows, Linux, and Mac operating systems.
End user requirements ##